Tuesday 9 April 2013

Germinating the Veg

I was going around the shop the other day and it suddenly dawned on me just how late in the planting season it is getting. The terrible weather recently (terrible for gardening that is) has made it impossible to get into the garden which would have been a perfect time to get some germinating on the go but the bad weather also made it feel a lot earlier in the year than it actually is.

Thankfully it's not too late and most of what I'm looking to plant out can still be planted in April. I dare say with the low temperatures planting out a little later than usual may even be beneficial.

So here is what I bought:
This year's seed packs all laid out.
Beetroot, Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrots, Onions and Spinach. Pretty certain they can all be grown in the Scottish climate. It's not a huge selection as I know I'm not going to have a huge amount of time to dedicate to them each week so have taken a selection of veggies I like and should be able to tend to.

Here they are all planted out and waiting to sprout. A week or so and they should be visible:
Broccoli, Cabbage, Onions and Spinach.
Some of the things there are marked as suitable for straight sowing but I've decided to pop them into the germinator anyway just to give them a bit of a head start. The spinach I've put half into the germinator and half will go straight into the ground just to compare the difference.

And that's it. I'll hopefully get the veggie patch dug out this week and see about getting the rest of the seeds planted in it.

Happy gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment